Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Braeden Photos

I'd like nothing better than to post photos of Braeden here, but DH prefers I don't do that. His job position is such that he wants this blog to remain as anonymous as possible.

However, if anyone would like photos of Braeden, please don't hesitate to email me directly with your own email address, and I'd be more than happy to send a few to you, the small variety so they won't fill up your email quota. He has totally awesome hair - no kidding. He lost some on the sides and back, but for the most part what he was born with is still there and growing very fast. He'll need a hair cut soon, or some major gel applications so he doesn't look like a troll with dark brown hair standing straight up..hehe.

Braeden continues to enjoy his cereal. We're still doing it only once a day, but will go to twice a day in the next couple of weeks. The Bumbo chair works great for feeding, leaving both my hands free, since he's not exactly sitting up totally on his own enough to try feeding him that way. Now that would be messy..hehe. Plus, we put it on the couch while we're sitting there so he can sit between DH and I. He looks so pleased with himself sitting beside us.

I do have one development that seems weird to me, but then this is my first time doing this, so it's probably what all these little ladies and gentlemen do at about 5 months old (he'll be 5 months in a week). After he eats his cereal, we return to his bottle for the rest of his meal. The only problem is, he doesn't want to drink from the nipple. No, he wants the top off and to drink directly from the bottle, as if it's a cup. We don't have any cups for him yet, so that's how we're doing it until we're able to buy some real cups. We've done research which suggests he should learn to drink straight from a cup before using a sippy cup, so that's the route we're going. I get the biggest kick out of him drinking without the nipple and collar on the bottle, but has anyone else encountered this?

One thing I'm not sure of is how much cereal he should eat as he gets closer to 6 months and the start of his fruits and veggies. I know we're supposed to work up to three times a day, but how much at each feeding baffles me. The cereal box says to start with 1 tablespoon mixed with 4-5 tablespoons of formula (or water), and that seems to be his limit right now. Does it stay at that amount, just more frequently? New motherhood is really showing here, isn't it?

He continues to outgrow his clothes. This is getting scary. I swear baby clothes must shrink at some point in the laundering process..lol. He's wearing 6-9 months, which is appropriate for his weight, but what's after that? 12 months? It seems from what I've seen that after 9 months things are labeled differently, at least here. I have no idea what 4T is, and he has some of those for later - they're huge. We'll need to go on a shopping trip before long, and it's a maze out there. We received some things that are marked as 12 months, 18 months, even 24 months, but the majority of the clothing items don't seem to be marked that way. Help!

We're breaking out the Exersaucer this weekend after we clean it up. Most of our big items were inherited from friends, and need a good cleaning. I know he's going to love that thing. Will keep you posted on further developments, and don't forget that if you'd like a few photos, just let me know at my email address. I wish I could post them here, but DH would have a cow..lol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started just eye-balling the cereal as I put it in one of those plastic Gerber bowls....then guessing as I added the breastmilk/formula/liquid of choice to the desired consistency.

When I started with the fruits & veggies, I mixed some of that in there, too. Sometimes the jarred stuff if a little soupier than you need it to be in order to stay on the spoon.

The sizing thing is just a big PITA. If they're not labelled by age, how are they labelled? Most stuff goes either 6m 9m 12m or 6 - 12m, 9 - 12m, then 12 - 18m or 12 - 24m. It gets REALLY fun figuring out the difference between 24m and 2T -- but you've got a ways to go before then. :-)

Maggie said...

I have no idea how much cereal they are supposed to get. Oliver still only wants it once a day and I give it to him until he turns his head away and fusses. I guess he knows when he's done with it.
I never heard of a 5 month old wanting a cup, but if that's what he wants then hooooray! I tried using a cup with Oliver and he did pretty well, but I haven't done it since.
The sizes are so confusing! I usually just hold the outfit up to him and see if it looks ok. The "T" stands for toddler. Hopefully he won't be in those sizes for a while.
The exersaucer is awesome!! Oliver loves his, although he only likes to stay in it for about 15 minutes at a time.