Sunday, March 04, 2007

New Veggies

Braeden's been enjoying his peas and pear juice the past 5 days, so we gave him his first taste of green beans this morning (the other veggie his doctor recommended for his little "stinky" problem). Everything seems to be settling down there now, and he seems to like the green beans even more than he does the peas. Cool, so far so good.

I had an awful ordeal Friday with the eye surgeon. To recap, I had eye cancer nearly 2 1/2 years ago, for which I had radiation treatment. The good news is that the cancer is gone, the tumor along with it. Sadly though, the radiation did damage to my retina, blood vessels left over from the tumor were leaking fluid. Six weeks ago I underwent laser surgery to kill off those leaking blood vessels. Friday was my post-surgery check-up.

Not good news. There was more fluid in there. They decided the best way to treat the problem was to give me an injection of steroids, then and there. I'm almost glad I didn't have to wait a week, because I'd have been a raving lunatic knowing it was coming. I really hate waiting for medical appointments, and/or results. So as unnerving as it was, I agreed to let them do the injection. This steroid medication needs to be positioned at my retina, so the injection was right through my eyeball (sorry to gross you out - it did a number on me too). Even though they numbed my eye with a bunch of gel, when that needle went through my eye and out the back side, I screamed in pain. It was horrendous, but at least it's over. The medication will remain in there for 3 months, before it dissipates on its own.

My vision's doing very weird things now - I can see the medication in there, in the form of floaters that look to be the size of a dime, and some areas of vision are totally black. They warned me about these phenomena, and said things should clear up in a couple of weeks. Then I have to go back for another sound of laser surgery - does it ever end?

Other than the excruciating pain of the injection into my eye, the worst part of having it is that I have to be extremely careful for the first three days, the hardest thing being that I can't pick up Braeden. Thankfully it's the weekend so DH has been taking care of him for the most part. Still, it's so hard not to pick the little guy up. I've done it a couple of times anyway - they said if I keep the lifting it to a minimum it should be ok. I'm also not allowed to lie down for three days and nights - tonight will be my last night sleeping in the recliner. I have antibiotic drops to put in four times a day for four days, but that's not a biggy. It's not being able to pick up Braeden that's so hard, but I'll have to a day early, since DH goes back to work tomorrow and there's nobody else to help me. Brae will have to settle for minimal snuggling Monday, but after that, I'll make it up to him.

I hope you are all having a great weekend. Counting down to spring - yipee!! Oh yeah, don't forget the time change is next Saturday night/Sunday morning - and the clocks go forward. I actually did it one year, turned them back in the spring - duh..hehe.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Hurray for green beans! Oliver liked them better than peas, too. What do we try next?

Your eye surgery sounds terrible! They really poked a needle into your eye? It sounds super scary! Hopefully this time everything will turn out ok.