Thursday, February 14, 2008

We're All Sick

Oh, this really sux. Braeden and DH got bad coughs with phlegm on Friday, DH with a ripping sore throat. We think they picked up the "bug" at my retina doctor appointment last week, since they both got sick the same day.

DH was off work Monday, went to the doctor Tuesday, only to be told he's got an upper respiratory infection (the common cold). Neither of us has ever seen a "cold" like this one. We were starting to think maybe it was strep, nope. Brae's being a real trooper. His cough is better than it's been, but now he's got a charming discharge coming from his nose. Still, after he rests for awhile he's off playing again. A nice warm bath helped his chest congestion a lot yesterday.

Braeden was to go this morning for his vaccinations, but I called Tuesday and they said no shots for him for at least 2 weeks, until after he's over this cold. Talk about the medical community run-around. Our pediatrician wasn't there that day, so the on-call pediatrician returned my call and said "no shots". When I called to cancel today's appointment and reschedule, they wouldn't let me, the nurses saying he'd be fine to have his shots with his cold, as long as he doesn't have a fever (which he doesn't). Still, that's not what the doctor said. After being on hold for nearly an hour, the doctor called back again to reaffirm his position - no shots. He said he'd be having an emergency nurses' meeting immediately and one of them would call back. A different story on that return call - Brae's appointment for today was cancelled and a new one made for about 3 weeks from now.

By Monday, I wasn't feeling too well myself, and now I've been stricken full force with the same "bug" DH and Braeden have. Not a fun thing, but I've never been one to give in to a cold, and usually keep going, doing the best I can. I was worn out by the time last night rolled around, and was glad when Braeden went to bed - ok, so I put him to bed about half an hour early. We'll all be fine in a few days. Meanwhile, we'll be gentle with ourselves.

What really sucks is that DH's whole family arrived in town last night for a week, and they wanted lots of Brae play time (sister has multiple kids) and a family photo done. Play time is definitely out for Brae for the next day or two - I don't want those other children catching this on their vacation or risk Brae getting sicker. As for the family photo this weekend, it'll depend on how we all feel. I certainly won't drag Brae to an outdoor photo session if he's still sick. While it's by no means cold here, it's too cold for him to be outside for hours while they take various poses so we can select our favorites. I'll keep you posted.

For now, I just want to rest as much as I can, relax, and not think about anything else.

No comments: