Monday, August 11, 2008

Braeden To Urgent Care

I had to rush Braeden to urgent care late Thursday afternoon. He had a bad allergic reaction to something he'd eaten. The bottom line though is that he's perfectly fine now, and will go in about 3 weeks for allergy testing to see what the offending food is.

Two possibilities - I gave him half a peanut before the reaction happened, his first peanut. I hope it's not that, but of course it's possible. I think the offender was a red mini popsicle. He loves all the popsicles, but wasn't too keen to eat the red one. He ate it though.

Here's my reasoning for it being the popsicle over the peanut. The red, itchy, bumpy rash was around his mouth, chin, throat, neck, upper chest, and the base of his right thumb, next to his index finger, where he held the popsicle stick, everywhere popsicle juice would have dripped. There was nothing anywhere else on his body.

As soon as I saw the rash I washed him down with a warm wash cloth, then raced him next door to a neighbor, who offered to drive us to urgent care. She's got 2 children of her own, had nobody to take care of them (I know that feeling), and I knew Brae and I would be fine. DH met us there.

The doctor examined Brae. By then the rash was nearly gone. But as a precaution she gave him an oral steroid, DH picked up children's Benadryl for that night and on Friday, and I gave him a nice oatmeal bath. He was perfectly back to himself Friday, playing at the park, doing all his normal things. What a scare though.

That morning I'd had to go for lab work at 7am, as part of my pre-op physical exam, which was the day before. Too much to deal with in 24 hours. My glucose numbers aren't as low as the doctor wants, so he's increased my meds a bit at night. It seems to be helping. But my surgery is definitely on for mid August. I'm nervous about it, but hopefully it'll give me at least a little vision back in that eye - I don't even see shapes now, everything's just white.

Will keep you posted on Brae if there are any changes. Any thoughts on which of the two culprit foods could have caused his allergic reaction? I really hope it's not peanuts, but if it is, we'll deal with it.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

yikes! sounds like you had quite a scare. I would probably say it was the popsicle, too, for the same reasons you said. Isn't a peanut allergy reaction completely different?

I hope everything goes well with your surgery...keep us updated!